Coledale Public School

Quality Teaching & Learning in a Caring Environment

Telephone02 4267 1885



Each year, the students at Coledale Public School will be taught subjects from syllabuses developed by the NSW Education Standards Authority NSW syllabuses provide an outline of the requirements for teaching and learning in various subjects for stages of students’ learning. They also contain the outcomes and content which are intended to be inclusive of the learning needs of all students, including:

  • Aboriginal students
  • students with disability
  • high potential and gifted education
  • students learning English as an additional language or dialect (EAL/D).

Our teaching and learning programs are designed with the needs of your child at the core. Programs are adapted to cater for the needs of each student in the class. Our teachers use a range of high-quality resources to deliver the teaching and learning.

What will my child learn?

A child in K-6 will typically spend 80 per cent of their time in a 9 am to 2.45 pm, five-day school week learning the syllabus. The remaining 20 per cent of school time is spent on activities at the school’s discretion. This could include environmental education, additional school sport, band, concert rehearsals, religious education and special projects.

English and Mathematics makes up about 50 per cent of the school week –

this is equivalent to at least 12 hours each week. Other subjects are spread across the remaining time.

Primary school is split into four stages –

Early Stage 1 – Kindergarten

Stage 1 – years 1 and 2

Stage 2 – years 3 and 4

Stage 3 – Years 5 and 6

Each stage has six key learning areas:

  • English
  • Mathematics
  • Science and Technology
  • Creative Arts (which includes Visual Arts, Music, Drama and Dance).
  • History & Geography
  • Personal Development, Health and Physical Education

In Years 3 and 5 your child with sit for the National Assessment Program Literacy and Numeracy (NAPLAN). There are four tests covering numeracy, reading, writing and language convention (spelling, punctuation and grammar).